Monday 25 April 2011

Circuits



It has been almost two weeks since I last flew, because of windy conditions and the fact that my flight instructor had to leave for Germany in search of a new aircraft for the flight school (it's a small school).
But yesterday, skies were clear and winds were calm; perfect for flying (minus thermal activity).

Circuits are mostly rectangular paths that aircraft fly around an airfield, in a direction that depends on the direction of wind. However, at my airfield, the circuits are always flown to the west, meaning right turns when runway 18 and runway 15 are in use. Which they were that day.

This lesson was also exciting in the fact that it began my takeoff and landing practice. 28 litres of fuel in each tank – good to go. Pre-flight checks went off without a hitch. The only difficulty was setting my seat position – full forward – where it didn't want to slide into place. It took a few tries to get it to work.

Clear prop! Engine start. I added a fair bit of power and then brought it back again as we started rolling. The airfield buildings are situated close to next of runway 36's threshold - meaning we had to taxi the full length of the runway to get to the end.

Once we arrived and were holding short, the pre-takeoff check went smoothly. A few instruments were known to be dodgy, namely, the right fuel tank quantity indicator and the engine temperature indicator. The fuel indicator showed slightly less than what was actually in the tank, and the temperature indicator showed slightly higher than in reality.

After we lined up, my instructor began with a demonstration of a full circuit. I watched as he took off, retracted flaps, made a right turn, levelled out at 2000 feet above sea level, began pre-landing checks after turning on downwind, slowed down, added 15 degrees flaps and turned carby heat on while starting the descent on base leg, and add 30 degrees flaps with carby heat off on final.

He then talked me through his landing. Power controls height, pitch controls speed. A smooth touch of the mains followed. Then we added full power and gunned it down the runway for another go.

My turn. I made a climbing right turn after retracting the flaps. The circuit height came up quickly, making me stop climbing while continuing the turn – a manoeuvre which I had never tried. All was well after a level out on crosswind leg.

The real challenge started on downwind. Pre-landing checklists were completed using an acronym known as FIBS – Fuel, Instruments, Brakes, and Switches. I started drifting in a bit close to the runway because of a slight crosswind. I corrected, but I think I did too much. On base leg, after carby heat was put on, I brought the power back to idle and waited for my speed to drop before I began descending. Then I added 15 degrees flaps.

I saw I was coming in a bit high after turning onto final. I reduced power and pitched down slightly. Now I was coming in too low. It was especially concerning because of the tall trees planted near the threshold. Add power! Now I was too high. I reduced the power a little this time. It seemed to work. After we passed the threshold I arrested the descent, looked up along the runway and let the aircraft sink gently onto the grass...

THUD.

Okay, not so gentle. Add power and do it again!

On my second try, I finished climbing after I finished the turn, with made things easier. I think I turned too early though. Back on downwind and the same things happened again. On base I accidentally let the aircraft sink a little as I slowed down. I was supposed to wait for target airspeed, and then begin descending. No problem now. Add flaps and continue on.

This time it was an almost perfect approach, with a nice approach profile and the airspeed needle dead on the 60. Over the threshold, and I flared the aircraft. This time it was gentle. Time to go again.

After several circuits, I came in to land for a full stop. However, unlike the others, this landing was quite sloppy as I flared too much and 'ballooned'.

Back on the ground and under 10 knots, I turned off the runway and onto the taxiway. I checked clear left and right, and then taxied across the cross runway. As we taxied toward the fuel shed, my instructor praised me saying how each and every landing was perfect. No, not really. He explained how sometimes I came in either too high or low, and overcorrected, becoming too high or low on the other side. Which was the truth.

In the airfield building, my instructor explained to my dad that while I am making some progress, there is still a long way to go. No just with me, I mean, because everybody at this stage would still have a long way to go. After all, I've only just gotten 7.7 hours total. He said that if I was to take a break from flying, he would want me to be at least flying solo. If I could choose, I would never take a break from flying. But in reality, school usually comes in the way.

Outside there was a man waiting for his lesson which came after mine. But that man looked like he was almost seventy - and he was only up to his third lesson. I've been flying and I still haven't started driving yet. It's a shame some people think they are too old to do anything, let alone fly. But of course, anyone can fly at any age.

During the flight my phone was recording a GPS track, which I was able to export to a KML file. Hmmm, quite messy. Definitely needs work.

No comments:

Post a Comment