Saturday 30 April 2011

Circuits and Missed Approaches


April 30th's lesson was on Missed Approaches, along with some more circuit practice. With a northerly wind that day, we had a short taxi to runway 36. After completing the pre-takeoff checklist, I advanced the throttle to full smoothly and firmly – unlike other times where I hesitated (due to my unfamiliarity to the enormous engine power) and left it somewhere in the middle. At around 40 knots I slowly added back pressure to the control stick. A few seconds off the ground and I adjusted to maintain 70 knots climb speed. Flaps up in stages, and by 700ft AGL we were clean.

I commenced the turn onto crosswind leg. This time it was a left turn, unlike the right turns that were needed when Runways 18 and 15 were being used. I levelled off at 2000ft above sea level, and flew toward downwind leg.

We did a few circuits just to get back into the ‘swing of things’. The first landing I did was not bad. I kept the flare going longer than I previously did, which was better considering that on my last flight I had a habit of not flaring enough and performing a nose-wheel equivalent manoeuvre of a tail dragger three-point landing.

I gave a firm application of power for a go-around. The aircraft lifted off easily because of the trim, and I had to be careful not to let the speed drop too low, but once I reached climb speed I had trouble with the speed being too high. I retracted the flaps, making handling easier, and turned left onto crosswind once again.

After around three more circuits, with one particularly smooth landing, my instructor took over and demonstrated a missed approach – that is, an approach that’s gone missed. Once we were nearing the threshold he applied full power, and turned right. We then continued climbing like a normal takeoff.

Next was my turn. I flew a normal circuit and prepared for landing normally. But somewhere during final approach, my instructor said ‘Go around.’ I did just as he told me by applying full power and pitching up, before turning right off the runway centreline. 

The last landing was a glide approach, with a simulated engine failure in the circuit. I needed to shorten the downwind leg and turn onto final, but the landing itself was nicer than the others. 

At the end of the day, I was happy. My landings were improving and I was having better control of my plane. The main thing I probably need to work on though is controlling my angle of bank while in a turn. Normally a turn is made at 30 degrees. I probably did around 45 degrees.

After reviewing my track from the GPS, I found a great inconsistency in turning from upwind to crosswind. On downwind, I also had the habit of narrowing up to the base leg. A possible reason for this is that a nearby road that runs next to the runway is not lined up with the runway but looks like it is, creaing an effect that draws you towards it. Other than that, I was fine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment